Social + (Good x 2) = S4G November Event!
On November 18th, Social4Good (S4G) members gathered to learn more about Second Story as they made Thanksgiving baskets and planned dinner for the Young Mother's Program.
Lauren Witherspoon, Development Coordinator shared Second Story's mission to transform the lives of children, youth and their families by providing safe havens and opportunities for them to grow and thrive. Second Story programs provide support at critical turning points in their lives.
36 Thanksgiving Baskets and $725 in Gift CardsSecond Story staff are increasingly noticing that the youth attending their programs do not have access to adequate food in their homes. To help these families who are in need, Second Story set a goal to provide 500 baskets for children in their programs. Each basket contains enough items to feed six people and includes:
- Grocery store gift card to purchase perishables
- Pasta - 2 x 1 pound package
- Cooking oil - 32 ounces
- Two cans each of green beans and corn (15.5 ounce cans)
- Dry Black Beans (1 pound bag)
- Rice (1 pound bag)
- Brownie Mix
- Maseca or generic corn masa flour -a brand of flour (at least 4 pound bag)
Dinner for the Young Mothers ProgramOn November 20th, S4G members delivered dinner to the Young Mothers Program which provides housing, counseling and training to homeless women age 16 to 24 who are pregnant or have young children. Second Story puts an emphasis on parenting skills, completing an education, job readiness, and basic self-sufficiency so that young women will be able to support themselves and their children, breaking the cycle of poverty, abuse, or homelessness.
Special Thanks to:
- Margaret Kerfoot for hosting a fun and informative night.
- Lauren Witherspoon for presenting Second Story's mission and programs.
- Social4Good's members who supported the event through their donations and participation in creating the baskets.